Sunday, January 13, 2013

Our Lady of the Airways, Boston Logan International Airport


I've always been curious about the chapel at Boston-Logan International Airport. In Durham the old airport chapel was a small, dark space with fake stained glass. I was surprised to discover that the one at Boston-Logan is as big as a church.

 
It's hard to explain why I find this place so moving. It's partly because it reminds me of Robigus, the rust god--this narrow category, the recognition of its need for a deity. Also because we're willing to travel extreme distances for mourning, and the fact that airlines make exceptions for that kind of travel. I feel like an airport chapel must be used more often for sadness than happiness.

It's partly because airplane flights, especially the overseas, night-to-morning ones, are really an ascent into heaven, and also because they require total surrender, and I am gradually getting more and more afraid of air travel, and sometimes I am jolted awake from one of those noisy airplane-naps by a sudden terrifying awareness of how fast we're going.





Sunset on the way to Boston

Sunrise above the Hebrides, Iceland to Paris



10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post. I have always found this to be a special place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We actually installed a roof on one of their homes in Texas! Great guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice and informative post. I have subscribed to your posts and feed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must say that I found the post relevant to my subject area.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the reason reading is fun is because it is a post related.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, amazing blog format! How long have you been blogging for.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I appreciate you for posting when you have the opportunity

    ReplyDelete


  9. Hello guys! I think you should need to pay attention at this

    ReplyDelete